I'm an associate professor at Graz University of Technology and research area manager at the Know-Center.
Research - Teaching - CV - Contact
Human-Computer Interaction and Technology-Enhanced Learning
I research socio-technical interventions for learning and knowledge work.
In my habilitation, my research has focused on technology-enhanced learning in the workplace, and in particular on adaptive reflection guidance.
From this, my research now extends to designing for learning in other educational contexts, designing for innovation activities related to the digitalizing of learning, designing for knowledge management, and designing for strategic activities around digitalization and business model innovation.
My research is design-oriented. Typical methods are user-centered and contextual design, and field studies. Analysis methods are qualitative, quantiative, and data analytics based; and I have studied participatory design and similar methods as methods in innovation. Technologies are typically interactive, adaptive, and use data analytics and artificial intelligence. My contributes to the fields of technology-enhanced learning and human-computer interaction, and connects to information systems research
- Carla Barreiros, Viktoria Pammer-Schindler & Eduardo Veas. Planting the Seed of Positive Human-IoT Interaction. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Taylor & Francis, 2019, IF=1.354
- Angela Fessl, Gudrun Wesiak, Veronica Rivera-Pelayo, Sandra Feyertag, Viktoria Pammer. In-app Reflection Guidance: Lessons Learned across Four Field Trials at the Workplace. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, Vol 10/4, pp 488-501, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TLT.2017.2708097 IF=2,267
- Veronica Rivera-Pelayo, Angela Fessl, Lars Müller, Viktoria Pammer. Introducing Mood Self-Tracking at Work: Empirical Insights from Call Centers. ACM Trans. Comput.-Hum. Interact., ACM, 2017, 24, 3:1-3:28. IF=1.293 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3014058
- Viktoria Pammer, Birgit Krogstie, Michael Prilla. Let's Talk About Reflection at Work. International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning, Vol 9, No 2/3, 2017. https://graz.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/lets-talk-about-reflection-at-work
- Viktoria Pammer, Marina Bratic, Sandra Feyertag & Nils Faltin. The Value of Self-Tracking and the Added Value of Coaching in the Case of Improving Time Management. In: Design for Teaching and Learning in a Networked World, Proceedings of the10th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (ECTEL 2015), pp.467-472, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-24258-3_41
- Viktoria Pammer, Marina Bratic. Surprise, Surprise: Activity Log Based Time Analytics for Time Management. 2013 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI ’13, Paris, France, April 27 – May 2, 2013, Extended Abstracts. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2468356.2468395
Full list of Publications
List of Invited Talks
See also my research profiles at Google Scholar, at ResearchGate, and my OrcID.
Current Research Streams:
- Adaptive and conversational prompts for reflection and discussion
- to connect between educational setting and practice practice
- cases: children who play a cybersecurity game; apprentices in metal and electrical engineering; mentors for AI education
- follow-up directions: natural language processing as basis for learning analytics; automatic generation of learning prompts from learning goals
- with Angela Fessl, Irmtraud Wolfbauer, Katharina Maitz, Sebastian Dennerlein, Analia Cicchinelli
- Adaptive content in e-Learning
- case: Health literacy for children.
- adaptive content modules within Moodle.
- learning analytics as support for e-Learning system design.
- A blended learning ecosystem for workplace learning
- Learning goals as master representation of trainings
- with Katharina Maitz
- Knowledge work and informal learning in modern manufacturing
- cases: re-work in car series production; technical assessment of quotes/production orders
- extensive contextual inquiries in use cases
- lenses of analysis: knowledge work, situated learning, communities of practice
- natural language processing as part of work support tools
- with Kathrin Juhart and Rene Kaiser
- Designing for open science, and learning to use available open science artefacts
- with Tony Ross-Hellauer, Angela Fessl, Gert Breitfuss
- Technology-enhanced-learning as driver for innovation in higher education
- using methods from co-design
- using concepts from technology-driven business model innovation
- reflection prompts as support in the innovation process
- with Sebastian Dennerlein
- Data-driven business model innovation
- ... is a strategic, collaborative and knowledge creation activity
- ... that poses knowledge risks when data or data-related entities (algorithms, models, insights, predictions, recommendations) are shared
- with Michael Fruhwirth, Gert Breitfuss, Stefan Thalmann
- Representing complex data using metaphors of nature
- serves human wellbeing on top of providing immediate utility
- together with Carla Barreiros and Eduardo Veas
Past Research Streams:
- Technology-Enhanced Learning:
- Computer-supported reflective learning in the workplace together with Michael Prilla, Birgit Krogstie and Angela Fessl and many others within the EU FP7 project MIRROR (rated an excellent project by the EU).
- Knowledge services for technology-enhanced professional learning within the EU project APOSDLE with Stefanie Lindstaedt, Luciano Serafini, Chiara Ghidini, Marco Rospocher, Tobias Ley and Barbara Kump, where I have specifically explored semantic technologies as enabling technologies for system intelligence, and supporting non-semantic technology experts in developing formal knowledge models.
- In the EU H2020 project MoreGrasp I have developed the concept of a physical Sokoban to help spinal cord injury patients learn to use a complex interactive system (implemented by Christofer Öjeling and Granit Luzhnica, see Master thesis of Christofer Öjeling and the paper Luzhnica et al., 2016).
- Hybrid Tag Recommenders
- I have worked on using semantic technologies and Web 2.0 technologies on semi-automatic tagging (Lindstaedt et al., 2009; Pammer et al., 2012).
Short CV from August 2019.
- TUGraz Online card - my official contact site at Graz University of Technology
- Twitter - regular activity
- Website - overview of my research and teaching activities, CV, list of publications